MEN'S SWIMWEAR INFORMATION
- Swimwear for men comes in various styles and designs. Choosing the right swimwear for your swimming needs can make all the difference in your performance.
- Jammers: swimsuits that go from the waist to the knee. The most popular swimsuits among lap swimmers. Swim jammers provide more coverage than the conventional brief, yet still fit tightly to the body. They can vary in length and in many ways resemble cycling shorts. Jammers are used for racing as well as practice.
- "Speedos", briefs, racers --- 3 terms that describe just the regular and traditional swimsuit. Briefs offer great support and are good for both swimming and sunbathing.
- Drag suits are purposefully baggy swimsuits that create resistance while swimming. Drag suits are part of resistance training and could be considered training gear. They should be used for practice only.
- Square legs: Those are a little bit longer than traditional briefs. The outseam may vary from 5" to 9" depending on the manufacturer. In general, swim square legs are used for practice, but some swimmers use it for racing.
- How to size men swimsuits? The right swimwear provides comfort and coverage as well as support for freedom of movement. See our standard men's swimwear sizing chart »
- Fabric used in men's swimwear
- Polyester: swimsuits made of 100% polyester are more resistant to chlorine and last longer. 100% polyester swimsuits are recommended for training and practice.
- Lycra/Spandex: swimsuits made of Lycra stretch better and usually fit more comfortably. However, they have a tendency to fade quickly and to get baggy with time. Recommended for some racing and comfort. Not recommended for training/practice. These swimsuits won't last long in highly chlorinated water.
What Customers Are Saying...
Reviewing: Square Cut Solid
Speedo polyester square leg
Sam R, Peoria, IL
| Sep 26 2016
I had the same problem. Went into the pool area early one morning and someone
tapped on the window wall at the front of the pool area and pointed to his rear.
I quickly got the message and checked my rear. I quickly made a hasty retreat to the locker room with about a 8 inch tear in the suit. Great suit but the stitching is weak.
Reviewing: Square Cut Tie Dye
GLENN W., JENKINTOWN, PA
| Sep 15 2016
Reviewing: Tyr Brief WHAAM
Whaam Durafast Racer
SCOTT T., SCOTTS VALLEY, CA
| Aug 24 2016
I had never worn the "Whaam" line of Tyr racers, but once they arrived, they looked great and fit wonderfully. I swim 3 to 4 times a week, so want/need a durable suit.
I have since gone back to swim2000 and ordered the other two color options that the Whaam racer comes in so that I'll have suits in reserve for when the time comes to replace this one!